The Medical Secretary serves as the administrative member of a Physician’s team. This position fields patient calls, schedules surgeries, and stays abreast of all administrative patient needs in a fast-paced organization.
Skills and Abilities:
- Surgical Scheduling, including coordination with patient Insurance Authorizations
- Managing the physician’s heavy call volume, largely patients requiring appointments, prescription renewal, worker’s compensation notes, FMLA paperwork, etc.
- Coordination with physician and clinical MA
- Coordination with various surgical sites
- Working heavily on the computer in the EMR (required high level skill) to accurately document necessary patient information
- Ensuring test results are received prior to surgery, responsible for reviewing tests and distributing appropriately to outside providers, facilities, etc.
- Coordination on the clinical floor with front desk, Xray staff, physician
- Preparing paperwork, x-rays, and other documents as needed for the physician to be available to take to surgeries
- Handle attorney record requests or other correspondence
- Locate and print all documents or orders in the fax que for the provider to sign off on and file and/or fax back to the appropriate location
- Handle medical record requests from patients, attorneys and insurance companies
- Process all incoming and outgoing mail for the provider and gather signatures when needed
- Demonstrate knowledge and compliance of all HIPAA regulations
- Proficient computer skills, especially in EMR systems
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills and outstanding phone etiquette
- Ability to problem solve and work as a member of a team
- Knowledge of medical terminology
- Ability to adapt
- Experience in a Medical Administrative role - 2+ years, Orthopedic experience is a plus
- Experience working in an EMR (electronic medical record)
- Ability to work well on a team, take direction from multiple people, adapt to changing priorities quickly without issue
- HS Diploma required
- Working knowledge with Microsoft suite of products (Word, Excel, etc.)
- Strong Communication skills
COVID-19 considerations: CT Orthopaedics is strictly adhering to CDC guidelines concerning employee and patient safety during the pandemic.