Unicorr Packaging Group Electro-Mechanical (PLC) Maintenance Specialist
Posting Date: 2/16/2016
Job Title: Electro-Mechanical (PLC) Maintenance Specialist
Education Level: A.S. Degree Electronics (Equivalent); 8 Years Industrial Experience
Employee Status: Hourly. $32.26 per hour
Unicorr Packaging Group, a family-owned leading manufacturer of corrugated and protective packaging, seeks a self-motivated and highly energetic Elector-Mechanical (PLC) Maintenance Specialist in our North Haven, CT facility.
The Electro-Mechanical Maintenance Specialist works under the direction of the Maintenance Supervisor.
This position is fundamentally responsible for electrical/mechanical maintenance and support of all production equipment and will be on 1st shift. The Maintenance Specialist is responsible for routine maintenance and downtime activities. This person must work independently and in conjunction with fellow maintenance and/or production personnel as tasks demand. . Is involved in fabrication, application, installation and repair of mechanical and electro mechanical equipment, the installation of electrical conduit and machine/building wiring.
- Adhere to all safety programs and policies.
- Day to day trouble shooting, repair and installation of low and high voltage (single/three phase) industrial electro mechanical & control systems for utility & production equipment.
- Create parts list and determine best routes for conduit runs and wiring in accordance with NEC code standards. This includes both building electrical and machine electrical panels.
- Support plant installations to size conductors and conduit for load, form all sizes/types of conduit, and thread ends of field cut conduit and pull field wires (with assistance if necessary) in accordance with NEC code standards.
- Assist in maintaining documentation for existing and new equipment, control and building power system installations.
- Provide assistance to mechanical installations as directed.
- Work independently in troubleshooting and repair problems with Programmable Logic Controllers and related components when required.
- Be able to obtain back-up PLC programs from a server to reload and reboot PLC programs to restore faulted equipment.
- Assist with system startups and operational checkouts on systems including configuration, wiring, calibration, grounding and power testing. Diagnoses cause of electrical or mechanical malfunction or failure of equipment or systems repairs or replaces defective components.
- Experienced in the use of electrical diagnostic equipment such as multi-meters, amp clamps and meggers to test electrical circuits and components to locate shorts, faulty connections, defective parts and replaces or repairs to suite.
- Interface with equipment operators and maintenance staff to ascertain problems with equipment.
- Disassembles replaces or repairs mechanical and electrical components.
- Must read and interpret electrical and electronic drawings, schematics, blueprints, engineering drawings and sketches to determine problem and make appropriate repairs.
- Examine and test components and support systems to ensure that they are in compliance with all standards and regulations.
- Must be competent to make electrical/mechanical diagnostic evaluation and prescribe corrective action.
- Test and calibrate electrical/electronic systems and components to ensure that they are operating properly or locate defects.
- Dismantles devices to gain access and remove/replace defective parts.
- Uses computerized equipment and software to perform testing functions and produce graphs for records and tracking.
- Troubleshoots and repairs electrical/mechanical problems in the robotic systems.
- Assembles and installs electrical and electro-mechanical components and systems.
- Devises, sets up and operates electronic instrumentation and related electro mechanical or electro pneumatic/hydraulic apparatus used for operation of mechanical or electrical equipment or drives.
- Utilize technical materials such as equipment manuals, MSDS, safety materials, system drawings, Process and instrument Diagrams (P&ID’s), schematics and blueprints to troubleshoot and maintain systems.
- Writes procedures, work instructions and work orders and maintains records of repairs, calibrations and tests in the Maintenance system. Completes any other tasks as needed or as directed by management.
- Incorporate Lean methodologies to daily work activity
Knowledge and Skills
- Be able to read, interpret, and modify electrical prints and schematics and document all self-created changes.
- General understanding and hands on experience with explosion proof and intrinsically safe work environments. Knowledge of applicable NEC and NFPA codes.
- Complete understanding of Plant electrical systems, including DC voltage and AC voltage from 24V to 480V.
- Complete understanding of relay and discrete device control systems.
- Proficiency in electrical installations with conduit and wiring practices.
- Experience using sensing and control devices.
- Experience using both DC and AC motors, VF Drives and Servo Controlled Systems (Allen Bradley preferred).
- Programmable Logic Controllers (Allen-Bradley and Siemens preferred).
- Experience with plant floor automation and office Ethernet, DeviceNet, ControlNet network wiring.
- Assesses own strengths and weaknesses; Pursues training and development opportunities; Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; Shares expertise with others.
- Directs and coordinates fabrication and installation to ensure equipment and systems conform to engineering design, and Federal and State codes.
- Overall responsibility for ensuring safety of the work place, by seeing that appropriate practices are established, in place and enforced.
- Support follow and support the Lock Out / Tag out program.
- Responsible for ensuring that equipment specific energy control procedures are developed for all equipment that present the potential for the release of hazardous energy
- Must fully understand and adhere to the ARC Flash & electrical shock prevention policy.
- All other duties as assigned
High school diploma required; associates degree or equivalent preferred. Eight years and/or training or equivalent combination of education and experience. Background in Programmable Logic controllers, computer systems and electronics. Experience in electrical and mechanical service and maintenance. Experience with AutoCAD, MS
Office is preferred.
Candidate must be willing to take courses to keep up with advancing technologies.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
PLC certificate preferred. State electricians license preferred.
Candidates will be subject to Electrical Aptitude, PLC and controls Aptitude, Mechanical
Aptitude and a 3-month introductory period.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of the job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle and feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; talk or hear; ability to use senses to diagnose and troubleshoot problems. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift/or move up to 50 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of his job. Responsible accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts. The employee is frequently exposed to electrical shock. The employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; high precarious places; outside weather conditions; extreme cold; extreme heat and vibration. The noise level in the work
environment is usually moderate.
Local Union: United Steel Workers #134L.
Unicorr Packaging Group is a family owned and operated business that has been incorporated since 1946. Experience, expertise and value-added services have made us the preferred supplier to hundreds of customers regionally, nationally and globally. Our customers range from the high tech and medical industries to food and beverage companies.
Unicorr has distinguished itself by its integrity and its manufacturing, design and service excellence, being among the largest converters of corrugated products and protective packaging in the Northeast. Practicing lean thinking to promote efficiency, sustainability and the elimination of waste along with a customer-partnership philosophy, has led to Unicorr’s success and growth.
Unicorr reaches across multiple facilities and warehouses with a full complement of capabilities and a wide product offering. We have 5 manufacturing facilities with a number of satellite warehouses strategically located to service our customers. We manufacture corrugated containers, displays and retails packaging and protective packaging. In addition, we have an experienced team of graphic designers and structural engineers in 3 design centers as well as a certified ISTA lab.
For additional information on Unicorr Packaging Group, please visit our website at www.unicorr.com. Unicorr Packaging Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer.